Navigate the worker shortage with technology solutions
One of the biggest issues that has been plaguing the colored mulch industry lately is the worker shortage. Unemployment rates are low, making it difficult to find and retain good workers, especially since the colored mulch industry is seasonal.
New employees come with risks
- You may lose out on sales because you can’t meet consumer demands.
- Undertrained employees might ruin bags of mulch or colorant because they weren't operating the equipment correctly. They could also back a loader into something and get hurt or cause property damange because they were not fully trained.
Technology solutions improve productivity
- Global Equipment Management (GEM) Systems: GEM systems include volumetric technology that monitors your output of colorant and water. You can put a newer employee on the coloring machine without worrying about whether they are paying attention to adding the right amount of color and water. They just need to punch in the formula they want, and the machine takes care of the rest.
- Buying machines with higher output will eliminate the need for overtime hours in worker shortage scenarios.
- Robotics and automatic baggers: Years ago, employees needed to bag pallets by hand. Now companies like Premier Tech and Hamer have produced automatic bagging systems, reducing the number of employees needed to bag colored mulch.